STICKY ASIAN BEEF SHORT RIBS
· +-2kg beef short rib sliced about 1cm thick.
Cut each slice into 3
· 1 cup soy sauce
· ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
· 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
· 1 tablespoon peeled and minced ginger
· ½ cup brown sugar
· 500ml water
· ½ cup sliced spring onion bottoms, white part only
· ¾ teaspoon crushed red chilies
· ¼ cup fresh orange juice
· ¼ cup hoisin sauce
· 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
· Jasmine Rice, for serving
· 2 teaspoons nely grated orange rind, for serving
· Sliced green onion tops, optional for garnish
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
In a wide stockpot or Dutch oven, combine the short ribs, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, water, spring onion bottoms, crushed chilies, and 2 tablespoons of the orange juice.
Make sure that the stockpot is deep enough so that the short ribs are submerged in the liquid.
Bake the short ribs, covered, for about 3 hours, or until themeat is tender and falling off the bones.
Remove the short ribs from the braising liquid and cover to keep warm. Increase the oven temperature to 220 degrees .
Drain the fat off of the cooking liquid and discard.
Place the remaining braising juices in a medium saucepan with ¼ cup of the hoisin sauce and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce the liquid until only about 1 ¼ cups remain.
Strain through a ne-meshed strainer, discarding the solids.
Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of orange and lemon juice.
Return the short ribs and the reduced sauce to the stockpot or
Dutch oven, coating the short ribs well with the sauce.
Bake for 10 minutes, until the short ribs are heated through and slightly glazed. Serve hot over jasmine rice.
Season each portion with the orange zest and