Wine Time | TOPS at SPAR Wine Show records excellent POURformance in East London debutDecember 19, 2019
From the Kitchen | GingerCoMarch 29, 2020
CHRISTMAS WREATH PAVLOVA
For the Pavlova
6 egg whites 350g castor sugar
1tsp corn starch 1 tsp white vinegar
For all the rest
300ml cream 150g castor sugar
25ml Frangelico (brandy / sweet sherry) *optional
An assortment of berries (used quartered strawberries, gooseberries, blue berries and black berries)
Good quality dark chocolate, shaved
25g almond flakes, toasted
Fresh sprigs of mint and icing sugar for garnish
1. Beat the egg whites on high until soft peak stage is reached.
2. Add the castor sugar and little at a time until well incorporated.
3. Lastly add the corn starch and vinegar, mix through quickly.
4. Mark a large piece of greaseproof paper by using circular shape (about 30cm) as a guide, then use a smaller circular shape (about
15cm) to mark the inner circle.
5. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with the greaseproof paper, oil well and dust with flour.
6. Spoon the pavlova mix neatly between the two circles forming the “wreath”.
7. Bake at 160°C for about an hour. After an hour turn off the oven and leave the pavlova to cool for a further hour or overnight.
8. Whip the cream until still peak stage is reached add the castor sugar a little at a time. Incorporate well and then, if using, add the selected shot of adult beverage.
9. Spoon this cream over the wreath.
10. Randomly place the berries onto the wreath letting it sit in the cream.
11. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds and shaved dark chocolate.
12. Dust with icing sugar and lastly garnish with sprigs of fresh mint.